A gem of the corundum family, yellow sapphire is a twin of ruby and blue sapphire. The yellow sapphire is the gemstone of the planet Jupiter and helps to overcome problems related to this planet.
Yellow sapphire is found in yellow, golden, and orange colors, as well as in a colorless variety known as white sapphire. The best gem is said to be of lemon-yellow color. The color in yellow sapphire is due to the presence of iron and titanium.
Some Qualities of a Good Yellow Sapphire
1. Heaviness or high specific gravity that can be felt when placed on the palm
2. Rich velvety luster that can be seen with the naked eye
3. Transparency, which makes it clean and pure
4. Evenness in surface, without any variation in thickness
5. Uniformity of color, without any layers
6. Solidity, hardness
Some Flaws of a Yellow Sapphire
1. dullness - harmful for health
2. crack inside the gem - creates fear of thieves
3. milky appearance inside - harmful for progeny
4. asymmetrical shape - brings bad luck
Some tests for Identification of a Real Yellow Sapphire
1. When placed on a white cloth and exposed to sunlight, it gives yellow hue to the spot where the light is reflected.
2. If kept in milk for twenty-four hours it does not change color.
3. It cures poisonous insect bites immediately if rubbed on the afflicted area.
Some aspects of the Rituals for Wearing a Yellow Sapphire
A yellow sapphire should be bought on a thursday, in an ascending moon cycle and when the Pushya Nakshatra is present. The weight of the gem should be no less than three rattikas. The ring should be set in gold and polished and finished the same day.
Some aspects of the Medicinal Utility of the Yellow Sapphire
Pukhraj Oxide is a vermicide; it also increases bile and gives strength. It is good for problems created by poisons. It cures vomiting and problems created by aggravated wind and mucus. It cures burning sensations, problems of the blood, hemorrhoids, and leprosy, and it strengthens gastric fire; it cures jaundice, gastritis, constipation, flatulence, cough, colds, asthma, nosebleed, apoplexy, tumors, tuberculosis, general debility, and ailments caused by loss of seminal fluid. It also cures problems created by an afflicted Jupiter.
Pukhraj Pishthi (Paste or Powder) : for mucus that is dry and needs to be expelled from the system, the pishthi mixed with malai (skim of milk) is best. For mucus that needs to be dried, a pinch of freshly ground black pepper should be added to the honey. For patients suffering from asthma it should be given with honey and sitopiladi. For colds, mix with honey and a pinch of fine-ground fresh black pepper. For vomiting the paste can be given with honey and a pinch of fine-ground red cardamom seeds.
Chief Sources of Yellow Sapphires
Like other members of the corundum family, pukhraj is also found as crystals in rocks of limestone and schists and in riverbeds and streams.
The primary sources in India, as mentioned in its ancient scriptures, are the Mahanadi and Brahmputra rivers, the Himalayas, the Vindhyachal Mountains, Orissa, Bengal, and Kashmir. The best yellow sapphires, famous for their luster, smoothness, brilliance, and transparence, come from Mogok, situated in the upper region of Burma.
Sri Lanka produces sapphires in yellow, light green, and color-less varieties in sufficient quantities. These sapphires are of some-what inferior quality to the Burmese pukhraj. Good quality sapphires in shades of yellow, green, pink, red, blue, violet, and white (colorless) are found in abundance in Brazil.