The Emerald is a gemstone of green color belonging to the family of beryl gems. The emerald is the gemstone of the planet Mercury and helps to overcome problems related to this planet.
This gemstone is rare because it is very difficult to find a flawless emerald. Aquamarine, morganite, goshenite, and heliodor are also members of the beryl family and have the same chemical constituents, except for chromic oxide, which gives emerald the green color that distinguishes it from the other varieties of beryls.
Some Qualities of a Good Emerald
1. rich green homogeneous color that is deep and pleasant, like a blade of fresh grass
2. retains its color and luster in all kinds of lights and shades
3. compactness, which gives it high specific gravity
4. transparence, which makes it rare and costlier than diamonds
According to the Agastya Mat, as mentioned in the Ratna Prakash, a good emerald is transparent, without dust, pure as a drop of dew on a lotus leaf, and it sheds luster in all directions when held on the palm in sunlight.
Some Flaws of Emeralds
2. presence of a hole
3. dullness; devoid of inner glow
4. unevenness of color
6. black or yellow spots
Such stones have no merit and should be discarded. A real emerald of a good size is rare and it is almost impossible to find an eyeglass-clear emerald. It is known for its ability to neutralize poison.
Some tests for Identification of Real Emeralds
1. If a real emerald is placed in a glass pot with water it radiates green light, whereas the imitation does not.
2. If a real emerald is placed on the eyes it gives a cool feeling, whereas an imitation becomes warm very quickly.
3. A drop of water on a real gemstone retains its shape and does not spread around like water. Even moving and inverting the gemstone does not harm the drop, whereas in an imitation it does not remain a drop but spreads like water.
Some aspects of the Rituals for Wearing an Emerald
An emerald should be bought on a Wedsnesday when the Sun is in the norther quarter in an ascending cycle. The weight of the gemstone emerald should not be less than three rattikas. It should be set in gold during the morning hours. Before wearing the ring should be kept immersed for some time in raw cow's milk.
Some aspects of the Medicinal Utility of the Emerald
Emerald Oxide increases ojas (radiance), cures fever, coma, vomiting, thirst, problems created by any kind of poisoning, aggravated bile, acidity, asthma, jaundice, constipation, hemorrhoids, and swellings of the internal organs. Because the oxide of emerald is cold in nature it is very suitable for people with hot temperament. It also cures weakness of the heart and the stomach. It is a very useful remedy for tuberculosis, diabetes, and urinary troubles. The oxide of emerald increases memory, provides longevity, and is an effective remedy for snakebite. It also cures problems caused by evil spirits and by the planet Mercury.
Emerald Paste can be used whenever needed for the following:
1. Kidney stone - with honey and pipal
2. Colic pains - with honey
3. Fever - with honey
4. Vomiting - with honey
5. Poisoning - with honey or malai
6. Swelling of internal organs - with honey
7. Indigestion - with honey and triphala choorna (powder)
8. Heart troubles - with sarpgandha powder ETC.
Chief Sources of Emeralds
India, Pakistan, Colombia, Africa,...