"Paschim" stands for 'posterior' or 'back' and "Uttan" refers to 'stretched'. In this pose the entire back region of the body gets stretched.
- Sit in Sukhasana with your legs stretched out together in front.
- Straighten your neck, head and spine.
- Make sure legs are not bent at the knees.
- Place your palms on the corresponding knees.
- Move your trunk and head forward and then gradually bend them down.
- Simultaneously, slide your palms along the shin of your legs to reach the toes. Grasp the big toes of the respective feet with the thumb, index and middle finger.
- Your head should be placed in between the two arms.
- Pull your toes and bend your head and trunk further downward arching the spine.
- Inhale deeply and then exhale slowly.
- Bend your arms and slide your elbows down on either side to rest on the ground. Pull in your stomach.
- Taking support of the elbows, bend your head further downward to touch the forehead on the knees.
- Complete exhalation.
- Hold your breath and remain in this posture for as long as you can.
- Release the toes and return to the sitting position.
- Straighten your spine and return to normal breathing.
- Never practice the pose on a full tummy.
- Get into the pose and return to the starting posture in a smooth flow without any jerks.
- Pregnant women should not perform Paschimotanasana.
- Hernia and slipped disc patients should avoid this yoga pose.
- While performing this yoga pose keep your body relaxed.
- This yoga pose helps relax the entire body with the stretching of the muscles of neck, chest, shoulders, the spinal column, abdomen, hips, waist, legs and feet.
- It helps overcome menstrual disorders.
- The pose is helpful in slimming down a flabby waist.
- Spinal column gets supple and flexible.
- It activates your pancreas; hence diabetic patients should perform this asana.
- With the pressing of the abdomen the inner organs attain strength.
- Paschimotanasana relieves rheumatism especially in the muscular portion of the back.
- Deformities of the spine are treated and thus the pose helps in correcting your posture.
- Regular practice of Paschimotanasana can help get rid of fat around abdomen, hips, backside and thighs.
- A protruding belly can be treated with this yoga pose.
- Paschimotanasana cures seminal weakness and impotency.
- Paschimotanasana improves the peristaltic action of the bowels curing constipation and other digestive disorders.
- Lung capacity is expanded due to stretching of the rib cage.
- Problems related to intestines and piles can be checked with the posture.
- Elasticity of arms, elbows, shoulders, legs, knees, ankles and hip joints improves.