"Surya" refers to 'sun' and "Namaskar" means 'salutation' in Sanskrit. Surya Namaskara involves series of 12 yoga postures which are done in one long continual process.
- Stand erect in Tadasana with your legs close together and palms joined together in front of your chest.
- Exhale completely.
- Inhale and raise your hands above your head and bend backwards.
- Exhale and bend forward.
- Inhale and extend your right leg behind as far as possible supporting yourself on the hands and left leg.
- Keep the right leg straight and look in front.
- Exhale and take your left leg behind and place it in alignment with the right leg.
- Your body should be resting on your hands and feet. Keep your body straight and firm.
- Exhale and lower your body to touch the floor.
- Inhale and raise your head and trunk with a slight back arch.
- Exhale and now raise your body up, keeping the palms and feet still on the ground to form an inverted 'V'.
- Keep your head hanging in between your hands. Look at your navel.
- Inhale and bring your right leg forward and look up.
- Keep the left leg extended backwards.
- Exhale and bring the left leg forward and keep bending down from your waist.
- Inhale and raise your trunk.
- Stretch your arms overhead with palms joined.
- Exhale and bring your arms down to the sides slowly.
- This completes one round of Surya Namaskar.
- Expectant mothers should not perform this yoga pose.
- It is advised not to practice Surya Namaskar if you are menstruation.
- Do not practice this yoga pose if you suffer from back aches.
- Hernia and high blood pressure patients should never practice Surya Namaskar.
- The nervous system gets toned.
- Surya Namaskar enhances memory.
- Hair related problems like dandruff, hair fall, premature graying can all be treated with this pose.
- Blood circulation to all parts of the body improves.
- Surya Namaskar helps in reducing abdominal flab.
- Your spine gets stretched and becomes supple.
- It restores a young glow to your face and helps get rid of signs of aging.
- Insomnia can be overcome with this yoga pose.
- Surya Namaskar revitalizes you and makes you stronger.
- It stimulates the peristalsis and thereby helps in regulating bowel functioning.